The Handlers of Clark Air Base,
Republic of the Philippines
In 1903, Fort Stoltenberg was established as a US Army cavalry post in the Philippines. It was the largest overseas U.S. military base in the world. The majority of the base was unoccupied fields and jungle. The base centered on the old cavalry post's large parade field. It was surrounded by large boulevards, buildings dating to World War II, and a huge flight line. It became Clark air Base at the birth of the USAF.
Clark had a long military history. For decades, the dog handlers of Clark searched the jungles and washouts, secured the flight line, and guarded the base population. It was the largest dog section in the USAF history. In the late 70's and early 80's, it was authorized 140 dogs.
The eruption of Mount Pinatubo in June 1991 destroyed the usefulness of the base. In November 1991, the United States Air Force lowered the Stars and Stripes and transferred Clark Air Base to the Philippine government.
Courtesy of Bob Smith
The handlers of Clark AB, RP are proud to sponsor the DOD MWD Reunions. Our Reunions evolved over the years to include all handlers,
from all services, from all eras. Our common bond is our dogs. No rules, no politics, no dues.
Click photo to download personal screen saver!
Special Thanks To Marc Hodgdon,
Webmaster “THE 1970s CLARK AIR BASE K-9 HOMEPAGE”
Webmaster Bill Louk – Clark AB, RP 1976 - 1979
Website Last Updated on
Friday, 29 July 2016